Re: Incorrect merge

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Incorrect merge
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 01:45:27 +0900

Óscar Fuentes writes:

 > The *only* way? What abut having a branch for that purpose?

Having a branch doesn't mean that people will use it properly.  Most
people do not understand branching and merging, or how to analyze
workflows, and don't want to learn.  Having a script allows them to
participate without learning.

 > BTW, do you realize that the script would end cherry-picking
 > commits

Not at all.  The whole point of svnmerge.py is to support
cherry-picking in SVN, as Python has up to 6 active mainlines at any
given time, along with sandbox branches of varying longevity and
proximity to a mainline.  Sure, that requires a fairly high level of
understanding and effort on the part of the script authors, but Python
considered it worth it.

It's not the only way, I'm sure, but it's one good, proven way.