Re: simple useful functions

From: Tak Ota
Subject: Re: simple useful functions
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:01:57 -0700

Tue, 2 Nov 2010 22:27:23 -0700: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Tak Ota writes:
>
>  > Don't you like the simplicity?
>
> Proliferating unrelated functions is a complexity of its own.

I agree in general.

> Occur
> already does this kind of thing; that's where I would look for this
> functionality.  Sure, you can add the function, but unless you can
> document it for other users in a discoverable way, you should add it
> to your init file, not to Emacs. ;-)

How about rename the command as collect-occur instead of
collect-string and document it as next?

`M-x collect-occur'
     Prompt for a regexp, and collect the matching string into a
     collection buffer.  A numeric argument N specifies to extract the
     Nth recorded matched substring.

Does this address your concern in simpler fashion?

>  > How about simply adding collect-string to replace.el instead of
>  > trying to associate it with occur in a clumsy way?
>
> Uh, what "replace" functionality does "collect-string" provide?

I followed your logic as you insist associating this command to occur
which is defined in replace.el.

-Tak