Re: Async DNS lookups

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Async DNS lookups
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 20:46:40 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> You can't "halt" the main thread, you can only wait for it to take
> a break.  E.g. you could stuff your callback into pending_funcalls.
> Of course, pending_funcalls would then need to be protected by a mutex.

Which mutex would that be?

I've grepped a bit through the code, and the usage pattern seems to be a
la:

    pending_funcalls
      = Fcons (list3 (Qrun_hook_with_args,
                      Qdelete_terminal_functions, terminal),
               pending_funcalls);

I don't see any obvious mutexes...

I've also grepped around for pthread_* stuff, and in particular
pthread_create, and I can't really find anything.  Do you have an
example of a code snippet that uses a thread inside Emacs?

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen