Re: simple useful functions

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: simple useful functions
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 11:10:28 +0900

Tak Ota writes:
 > Tue, 2 Nov 2010 22:27:23 -0700: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> wrote:
 >
 > How about rename the command as collect-occur instead of
 > collect-string and document it as next?

Wrong namespace.  IMO, the name should *start* with occur (but Stefan
and Yidong are final authorities on that).

 > `M-x collect-occur'

 > Does this address your concern in simpler fashion?

Not really. :-)  I *would* like this feature added to occur-mode, but
if you can get it past the maintainers as a standalone command, more
power to you.  I think it is a useful function, but it would be more
useful (and used) with occur integration.

 > > Uh, what "replace" functionality does "collect-string" provide?
 >
 > I followed your logic as you insist associating this command to occur
 > which is defined in replace.el.

Ah.  "Irreconcilable technical differences" raise their heads once in
again.  In *my* (X)Emacs, occur is defined in occur.el, and that's the
way it should be. :-)