Re: Backporting changes into emacs-23 prior to pretest

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Backporting changes into emacs-23 prior to pretest
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 23:09:34 -0400

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> How about this one:
>>    ** Directory local variables can apply to file-less buffers.
>>    For example, adding "(diff-mode . ((mode . whitespace)))" to your
>>    .dir-locals.el file, will turn on `whitespace-mode' for *vc-diff* buffers.
>> The code change itself is small, and only touches one or two
>> functions.
>
> I don't think this is a good candidate for backporting, but if you feel
> strongly about it, we can discuss more.

I think this is important.  It completes what .dir-locals.el can do.
Without it, you cannot use .dir-locals.el for any of the *vc* buffers.
The line I cite above is used to turn on whitespace-mode in *vc diff*.

>> How about the changes to make major modes derive from `prog-mode'?
>> [This is not quite finished, but it won't be too hard to finish it...]
>
> These is mostly a cleanup, right?  I don't think it's worth backporting
> either.

It's a new feature.  If all programming modes are derived from
`prog-mode', then one can do:
(add-hook 'prog-mode 'flyspell-prog-mode)
to turn on the fly spell checking for comments and strings in all programming
modes.
This is not complete on the trunk either.  So if you have an
aggressive schedule to get the release out, we can let this one go.