Re: Frame title problem

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Frame title problem
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:45:53 +0900

Jan Djärv writes:

 > Stephen J. Turnbull skrev 2010-11-07 15.52:
 > >   >  So I changed Emacs so it lets the X libs set WM_CLIENT_MACHINE.
 > >
 > > Given the quality of the standard, the only use I can think of is as a
 > > heuristic for "readable host name" in frame decorations.  If so and
 > > the Xlibs will do this for you, this is the Right Thing.
 > >

 > WM_CLIENT_MACHINE is used by managers to kill off bad clients when they
 > don't
 > respond.  It uses _NET_WM_PID and WM_CLIENT_MACHINE to determine if the pid
 > is
 > local.

Too bad the WM, then, because as you pointed out WM_CLIENT_MACHINE is
not defined in a way that's very useful for that purpose.  As a client
property, it could be almost anything.  Furthermore, it shouldn't be a
client property; really, this should be transparent to the client, set
in one of the shell widgets.

Anyway, this shouldn't matter to Emacs, Emacs never infloops, right? ;-)