Merging emacs-23 into trunk

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Merging emacs-23 into trunk
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 16:30:10 -0500

FWIW, here's the code I've used to merge the emacs-23 branch into the
trunk.  It presumes that the commits I don't want to include have the
keyword "backport" or "merge" in it, so please make sure you include
such keywords in your "not to be merged" commits in the future.

It's pretty rough, and is scaringly slow (to some extent because of
bzr's braindead lack of support for merging into a tree that's not
clean).  But that merge seemed like a good opportunity, since it had
many backports and a naive merge generated tons of conflicts (a large
part of them due to "bump version").

BTW, thanks Chong for committing the "bump version" separately from any
real change, so I could just skip that patch rather than try and come up
with some clever way to recognize and auto-resolve the
resulting conflicts.

        Stefan