Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:26:58 +0100

From: CHENG Gao<address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:15:10 +0800

I am wondering if some browsers should be removed from browse-url.el
since they are ceased projects for many years. Such as Mosaic, Netscape,
Mozilla, Galeon.

Why is it a problem that these are still supported?  What's the urge
to remove them?

While I see no problems in a half screen page full of Mosaic-related
tuning (despiete of clutter of space and confusion of non so age-old
user, which may be born after gopher become defunct), I _personally_
see a problem in total absence of the more widespread browsers like
Chrome/Chromium or Safari.

The default for OSX is to use the system default browser, so that will be Safari if it is the default. On systems that have xdg-open (most GNU/Linux versions nowdays), the default browser is also used. If that is Chrome, it will be opened.

IMHO, the way to go is to use the system default, not add more browsers.

        Jan D.