Re: Merging emacs-23 into trunk

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Merging emacs-23 into trunk
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:32:26 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> You are cherry-picking here; cherry-picking is explicitly not tracked
>> in the history DAG.
>
> Actually, I'm not cherry-picking: Since all changes until A have been
> merged, merging A..B will end up with all changes until B: I'm not
> picking some changes and avoiding others.
> And indeed
>
>   bzr merge -r A..B
>
> will correctly track the history in the case where A has already been
> merged and committed.

No. It will keep the order of the commits, but that's is all it does as
far as the VC history is concerned.

In general, merge -r A..C is the same as the sequence

merge -c A
merge -c B
merge -c C

When you cherry-pick a commit (either individually or as a part of a
range) that commit loses its identity and appears as a new one on the
target branch. bzr has no way of knowing that a commit you cherry-picked
already is on the target branch, and hence it will not complain if you
merge it again.

`bzr qlog' on trunk just after cherry-picking the changes from emacs-23
will be illustrative.

[snip]