Re: Merging emacs-23 into trunk

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Merging emacs-23 into trunk
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:29:17 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > ??? Which part of design of bzr won't permit me doing the
 > following?

Eli, I have no idea how you could possibly think that's an appropriate
question at this point in the thread (and the same goes for several of
your following comments), so I'm going to quit while I'm ahead.

However, in considering how to reply, I did come up with one
suggestion possibly worthy of consideration.

 > The issue of whether to have configure in the repository is a separate
 > one.  If the decision is not to track it, then, of course, all of the
 > above is not relevant.

Obviously, configure *is* in the repo.  Then you either do something
to prevent the problems I described, or sooner or later they arise.
The obvious thing to do is to run autoconf, then commit configure
along with configure.in.

To keep Glenn happy, maybe the Bazaar guys can come up with a plugin
or a patch that allows you to configure files that should never be
diffed unless you ask for it (like binaries, you just get a stanza in
the diff that says the files differ but the diff itself is omitted
because the file appears in .diffignore or diff.ignore= in
.bzr/config).  That likely won't be too hard, because they have to do
something more complex to avoid spewing binary garbage, anyway.  So
there is some place where bzr is going, "oh, let's not display the
diff of this file" and suppressing either the diff operation itself or
the output.  Quite likely it's a couple of lines to change to add this
feature.