Non hex digit used for Unicode escape

From: Fren Zeee
Subject: Non hex digit used for Unicode escape
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 14:00:36 -0800

I am not sure if my first message got to the mailing list and I am trying again. Apology in advance for duplication.

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/home/frenzee/.emacs':
error: Non-hex digit used for Unicode escape
To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

I just upgraded my emacs to the latest version on unix and this is the error.

I ran the --debug-init and went to each file point position and the main thing appears to be some double \\

How to automatically fix all my .emacs files and their entries ? I think there are some commands like

The following post discusses the problem but gives no example of a good solution on what is the replacement :

Hi!

> It's the line (setq default-directory "C:\Users\Charles") thats
> causing the problem. (cd "C:\Users\Charles") raised the same error
> too.

You have to escape backslashes in strings like this:

  (cd "C:\\Users\\Charles")

See (info "(emacs) Init Syntax") for some more hints.

Regards,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig