Re: Emacs tool bar on Fedora14

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Emacs tool bar on Fedora14
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 11:40:00 -0500

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

>> BTW, I couldn't figure out how to customize it in Gnome.  I do remember
>> seeing such an option somewhere (maybe in gnome-appearance-properties)
>> at some point in the past, but I can't seem to find it any more.
>>

> There used to be an Interface tab in Appearance but it has been
> removed by the Gnome people. I guess that is logical, as they seem to
> move towards a customization-free desktop.  They decided that
> both-horiz (icon followed by text) is what everybody should have.

The trouble is that this means that only 4-5 buttons will fit on the
tool-bar, by default.

I observe that in Gedit, some of the tool-bar buttons are just icons
(New, Print, Redo, Cut/Copy/Paste, Search), while others are accompanied
by text labels (Open, Save, Undo).  This lets them fit more buttons in.
Other Gnome applications do the same thing.

If we are going to use text labels, we should probably implement this.