Re: ELPA policy

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:50:45 -0700

>>>>> "Julien" == Julien Danjou <address@hidden> writes:

Julien> - Who will assure there's no regression for Emacs 24.1 user when people
Julien>   will starts uploading packages using 24.2 only function?

You could try making it so uploads require a warning-free byte-compile
on various Emacs versions first.

Packages can require a minimum Emacs version, if the author knows that
this is needed.

Julien> - Who will assure there's no regression at all?

You can't catch all the possible bugs.
I've had ok results on my site just forwarding reports to the package
maintainer for fixing.

Julien> There's probably a lot more question outstanding. I've the feeling ELPA
Julien> is adding a second class citizenship for packages, and I really do not
Julien> like that, at least in its current form.

My view leans more towards package inclusion maximalism -- put
everything in Emacs, but also do more frequent releases of some included
packages via ELPA.

Tom