Re: elpa.gnu.org policy

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: elpa.gnu.org policy
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:19:17 -0500

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Package developers tell us some of this, but elpa.gnu.org needs to have
> a way of freezing package versions.  Otherwise any new package version
> has the potential to break everyone with an older Emacs version.  Just
> as with the regular Emacs, we can backport fixes but at least we're
> guaranteed that we won't have surprises due to an upgrade.
>
> So packages will start in the global repository.  But when Emacs changes
> or the maintainer tells us or we get bug reports, we'll look for
> affected packages and branch them accordingly.

Maintaining a separate repository for every Emacs release sounds like a
lot of work.  Currently, it's up to maintainers of upstream/external
packages ensure backward compatibility with older Emacs versions,
e.g. by introducing compatibility functions.  Obviously this system
doesn't work perfectly, but it doesn't seem like we have the manpower
for anything more elaborate.