elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs (was: rainbow-mode)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs (was: rainbow-mode)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:50:48 -0600

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 00:55:16 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> That's a problem with the current setup, indeed.  I think we should be
SM> moving towards a Bzr "packages" branch which we could checkout alongside
SM> Emacs and edit easily to fix bugs.

SM> There's a fair bit of work left to do to get to that point, tho.
SM> Part of the problem here is how to decouple edits from uploads, how to
SM> sync local changes with the upstream maintainer, etc...

I'll try to merge Glenn's comments, your comments, and mine into a plan:

1) add elpa/ directory to main Emacs repo (as a branch or subdirectory;
my vote is for a subdirectory that's not bundled or compiled because it
will get branched together with Emacs itself).  Make it available to a
dev checkout of Emacs as a file:/// URL (so it can be tested easily).

2) let the usual Emacs hackers access elpa/* normally

3) mirror elpa/ to a repo on elpa.gnu.org daily after reviewing the
changes (so it's a supervised pull, not automatic).  Allow admins to
trigger this from the web site.

4) Set up a deploy process of the elpa.gnu.org repo to the HTML tree
(with one package repository per major version as I suggested, plus a
"dev" package repository and an "all" package repository).  This can be
deployed automatically and manually.  Allow admins to trigger
deployments from the web site.

5) set up specific third-party packages to be fetched into the "all"
package repository daily on top of the deployment.  AUCTeX, BBDB,
etc. would be good candidates for this.

This lets us bundle Emacs-local changes to third-party packages into
clear diffs we can send back upstream.  It also separates "commit
something into the package repository" from "deploy the package
repository to the world."

Ted