Re: Emacs 23 Mac port

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 Mac port
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:11:01 -0600

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 10:25:41 +0900 YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> wrote:

DC> Thanks for continuing to do this work. I still find the AppKit
DC> port to be more reliable and useful than the NS one, and I hope it
DC> makes it into mainline one day.

>> IIRC the AppKit port depends on the Carbon libraries and so is not a
>> good long-term solution.  Mitsuharu-san, is that still correct?

YM> Not sure about "the Appkit port".

It was the term used by the OP.  I believe he referred to the Emacs 23
Mac port.

YM> If you mean Emacs 22 Carbon+Appkit port, then I maintain this just
YM> because I'm using it in our classroom.

YM> If you mean Emacs 23 Mac port, see the following message in
YM> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-06/msg00148.html

So are you saying Carbon *is* a good long-term solution?

Or are you saying it's supported right now and that's good enough?

Carbon was not supposed to get a 64-bit upgrade when we first discussed
your Mac port IIRC; obviously it has one now.  I think the Emacs
maintainers still prefer the NS port because of the GNUStep support.

Ted