Re: Adding a menu item for htmlfontify-buffer to File menu

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Adding a menu item for htmlfontify-buffer to File menu
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:20:12 -0600

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 01:36:59 +0200 "Andrew W. Nosenko" <address@hidden> wrote:

AWN> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 23:03, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> How do you think adding a menu item for htmlfontify-buffer to File menu?
>>
>> I agree that it should be reachable from the menu.  OTOH that File menu
>> has already too many entries to "print".
>>
>> Maybe that Print subsection should be put into its own submenu, or maybe
>> we should have just "print buffer" and "print region" and then prompt
>> the user about how she wants to print (just print, to ps, to b&w ps, to
>> html, younameit).

AWN> Excuse me, but convert to html is not a print.  It's... hmm... convert :-)
AWN> Convert to html, convert to postscript, convert to pdf...  Or export,
AWN> if you prefer that name.  But not a print.
AWN> May be in English the word "print" has some other additional sense,
AWN> unaccessible to me, but in Russian "to print" ("вывод на печать",
AWN> "напечатать") has only one sense: make a hardcopy.

I think the proper verb is "render" and not "convert" or "export" or
"print," because the original is not in a markup format.  If it was,
"convert" or "export" might be appropriate.

But there's strong precedent in English for "print" to mean "output" in
computers.  So it's not a terrible verb choice IMO.

Ted