Re: Type-error in C code

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Type-error in C code
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:05:00 -0500

>> Same problem as the structs type: it's not optimized as well as the
>> int/long... types.
> May I ask any references about that?
> Not that I don't trust you, but I'd like to know why.

IIRC calling conventions usually dictate that non-scalar types get
passed via copies on the stack rather than in registers.

Also of course, in general structs can't be handled in the same way as
int/long/... by the compiler, so in order to handle single-slot structs
efficiently, the compiler needs to special case these.  I'd expect
a mature C compiler to go through the trouble to try and special-case
them, but that's no guarantee that it's going to be as efficient as just
scalar types.

        Stefan