Re: [emacs-bidi] Treatment of LRE,RLE,LRO,RLO,PDF,LRM,RLM

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Treatment of LRE,RLE,LRO,RLO,PDF,LRM,RLM
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 14:58:15 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> There are a few issues that perhaps need to be fixed:

>   . If the default value of terminal-coding-system is nil, glyphless
>     character display does not take effect: all the non-ASCII
>     characters are displayed as question marks.  I think this is
>     because safe_terminal_coding claims it can safely encode any
>     character.  This look inconsistent and confusing, so I think we
>     should fix that.

There was a bug in setting term->charset_list.  I've just
installed a fix.

>   . Composite characters are displayed as question marks regardless of
>     the setting of glyphless-char-display-control.  I think this is
>     because term.c:produce_composite_glyph does not consider the new
>     glyphless-char display feature.  I think users will expect that
>     composite characters behave like un-encodable characters on a TTY.

I think composite characters should be sent to a tty as is
(i.e. just sending encoded characters), then terminal may
correctly compose them.

By the way, with the latest trunk code, on tty terminal,
Emacs positions cursor incorrectly (at column 1) on empty
lines except for end-of-buffer.  I don't know which code is
wrong but, at least, it didn't happen when I committed the
big changes for glyphless-char-display.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden