Re: New branch for elpa contents

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: New branch for elpa contents
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:53:12 -0500

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Do you want to rename it to ELLE or make a new branch so named?

Let's stick with elpa.

> I'll take a look at copying the existing stuff over.  I think it
> should be structured like this:
>
> packages/
> scripts/
> admin/
> html/
> etc/
>
> with the corresponding files from elpa.gnu.org inside.  Bootstrapping
> a mirror should be as simple as checking it out and running
> scripts/deploy.sh or "make deploy" or something like that, based on a
> single environment variable ELPA_DEPLOY_ROOT.  That would let us
> deploy a copy as part of the Emacs build process if we or users choose
> to, or let distros or third parties package such deployments.
>
> Would you rather do it my way or put just the packages in the branch?

Your plan sounds good; if you want to go ahead and move the files,
please go ahead.  I don't think we need etc/ or scripts/, the scripts
and everything else can go into admin/ or a subdirectory of admin/.
Also, we should add README and COPYING files to the top-level directory.

Using a shell script for deployment makes more sense than using a
Makefile.  We don't need to use an environment variable; just make it an
argument for the shell script.