Re: AUCTeX inclusion [Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: AUCTeX inclusion [Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs]
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 09:20:57 +0100

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

>>     Is the any reason not to include AUCTeX in emacs proper instead of elpa?
>>
>> The benefit of the Emacs package archive (let's not call it elpa!) is
>> to make the Emacs tar file smaller by offloading a lot of Lisp code
>> that many people don't want.  I think AUCTeX is a good candidate for
>> that.
>
> Is the tar file size worth worrying about?  It seems hat tar file size
> is immaterial for most users nowadays, they install packages from
> various distributions.
> The advantage of having things included in emacs proper is that one
> just has to make sure that has the emacs package installed, and
> everything else works.
> These days users work on many machines: work, home, maybe a work
> laptop, a personal laptop, etc.  Having to configure each one of them
> is not ideal, it's better when things just work by default.
> AUCTeX is much better that the currently bundled latex/tex modes.

Correction: AUCTeX is much better than the currently bundled LaTeX mode.
The other TeX-based modes, however, are of comparable quality to the
existing ones while offering a similar interface to AUCTeX's LaTeX mode.
In particular people preferring to work with plain TeX will often find
the small code footprint and simplicity of Emacs' bundled TeX mode more
suited to their way of thinking.

--
David Kastrup