Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-23 r100224: Document VC headers and other VC ch

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-23 r100224: Document VC headers and other VC changes.
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:52:53 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

>  @cindex git
>  @item
> -Git is a distributed version control system invented by Linus Torvalds to
> support
> -development of Linux (his kernel).  It supports atomic commits of filesets
> and
> -file moving/renaming.  One significant feature of git is that it
> -largely abolishes the notion of a single centralized repository;
> -instead, each working copy of a git project is its own repository and
> -coordination is done through repository-sync operations.  VC supports
> -most git operations, with the exception of news merges and repository
> -syncing; these must be done from the command line.
> +Git is a distributed version control system originally invented by
> +Linus Torvalds to support development of Linux (his kernel).  VC
> +supports most git operations, with the exception of news merges and
> +repository syncing; these must be done from the command line.  VC
> +supports most git operations, with the exception of news merges and
> +repository syncing.

The last sentence is (mostly) a duplicate of the previous one. Also,
AFAIK VC does not support most Git operations by far (just check the
git(1) manpage and compare the list of commands with what you can do
with VC; I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, just that the
sentence is not true). Finally, I have no idea what "news merges and
repository syncing" means. I suggest simply removing everything after
"(his kernel).".

  Štěpán