Re: Time string format

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Time string format
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 17:07:19 +0100

2010/11/21 Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden>:
> Lennart Borgman writes:
>  > On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>  > > Óscar Fuentes writes:
>  > >
>  > >  > How can a fixed format be perfect for *local* formatting? The user
> wants
>  > >  > to see dates on a format that is familiar to him. So ISO is just
> another
>  > >  > format.
>  > >
>  > > +1
>  >
>  > "2010-11-21" - in what local is that not perfectly valid? Do we really
>  > have Emacs users that do not understand this standard ISO format?
>

> Who cares what they do or don't understand?  What matters is
> presenting what they want to see to them.  I personally want to see 2
> 010年10月21日.

I think it matters if they understand. If they understand the ISO time
format that makes it possible to have that as default. (Though as
someone noticed ISO 8601 does not have a format that mixes week day
with a common time string like "2010-11-21 18:20". That is quite bad
in my opinion, but does not prevent the use of the standard in the
time string without week day.)

Having the possibility for a local time string like the one you want
is of course not bad.