Re: The window-pub branch

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: The window-pub branch
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:06:19 +0100

> How can the user override specifiers for buffers that don't match
> unambiguous naming conventions (ediff, dired, ...)?

Another user option, say `display-buffer-symbols'?  The application
would pass a symbol in the call and make sure it has an entry in the
`display-buffer-specifiers' list which associates symbols like
'other-window with specifiers.  ediff could add entries like 'ediff-A
and 'ediff-B to `display-buffer-specifiers' and the user, in
`display-buffer-symbols', could provide an entry to override them.

But I'm not sure how to resolve the conflict when a matching entry can
be found in both `display-buffer-names' and `display-buffer-symbols'.

martin