Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 08:47:59 -0600

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 19:05:58 +0900 Byung-Hee HWANG <address@hidden> wrote:

BH> Also, by the way, i'd like to give you other name if you're OK:

BH>     GNU-Emacs-Lisp-Package-Archive.GNU.ORG

That's a very long CNAME.  I think it would annoy everyone.

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 07:26:17 -0800 "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> wrote:

DA> (Those so inclined can call it GELPA.  Or not.)

DA> The name should say what it is.  If the abbreviation shows some relation to
DA> ELPA, that's not a bad thing.

I think the confusion between "ELPA-like" and "ELPA" will only get worse
as ELLE (or whatever we call it) becomes more popular.  So I'm against
anything that includes "ELPA" in the name.  ELLE is short, memorable,
and slightly amusing, though I'm sure the joke will wear thin if we
discuss it to death.

I think we have a majority in favor of ELLE (Lars, RMS, and me).  Can we
rely on Chong Yidong and Stefan Monnier to make the final decision?

Ted