RE: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 09:58:33 -0800

> So we want to replace either `emacs' or `packages' with a name people
> could use conversationally for this particular collection of packages.

Yes.  The official (i.e. possibly longer) name and the URL should be
unambiguous, but there should also be a unique short name for use in discussion.
None of the three should be easily confusable with ELPA, but any of them could
suggest some relation to it.

For those reasons I supported Byung-Hee's suggestion of
`gnu-emacs-lisp-package-archive.gnu.org' and the acronym GELPA (which recalls
ELPA but is qualified).

`Lisp' could be dropped, if this is the only Emacs package archive.  And
`archive' could be dropped by using `packages'.  For the URL, as opposed to the
long name, the prefix `gnu-' could be dropped if length is a problem (but why
would it be?):

Name:   GNU Emacs Packages
Abbrev: GEP