Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el (shr-tag-color-check):Convert c

From: Julien Danjou
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el (shr-tag-color-check):Convert colors to hexadecimal with shr-color->hexadecimal.
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 10:08:13 +0100

On Wed, Nov 24 2010, Drew Adams wrote:

> Dunno.

But you write a lot for someone who do not know. :)

> You seem to be describing something oriented toward a particular application:
> "just distant enough to improve readability" or some such.  It would not be
> off-topic for hexrgb to include such a color-distance metric.  I just haven't
> needed that so I haven't added it.

Color-lab has been built upon a specific need, which resulted in the CIE
Delta E 2000 formula to be implemented. Some helper functions dealing
with colors have been written, like CIE XYZ and CIE Lab conversion in
the process.

All of this is not present in hexrgb, and hexrgb is not present in Emacs.

I admit: color-lab has 50 SLOC for 2 functions (rgb->hsl and rgb->hsv)
which are in hexrgb, but they are even not used at all by the CIE code.

So I think it's really unfair to stand up and point at this package like
it's something that should not have been done.

Now if you want to merge hexrgb and color-lab, why not, but stop
pointing at other people work because some is not included in Emacs.

I can't do anything about it.

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <address@hidden>   http://julien.danjou.info