Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el (shr-tag-color-check): Convert

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el (shr-tag-color-check): Convert colors to hexadecimal with shr-color->hexadecimal.
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 09:42:43 -0500

> There has been a tendency for all sorts of code unrelated to Gnus to
> get installed in Emacs through Gnus.  Some of these things were worth
> including in Emacs, but handling them as part of Gnus meant they did
> not get properly integrated, properly documented, etc.

I think there is a dual way to look at it: Gnus goes through the trouble
to try and cleanly modularize its code into sub-packages that can be
useful in their own right.

I think it's not very realistic to expect them to first get the package
included in Emacs, since Gnus also supports older Emacsen (as well as
(S)XEmacs).

So, yes, maybe the Gnus maintainers could be more proactive in
discussing new sub-packages with us, but we should also try to be
more understanding.  I really don't think there's ill-will on
either side.

        Stefan