RE: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el (shr-tag-color-check):Convert c

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el (shr-tag-color-check):Convert colors to hexadecimal with shr-color->hexadecimal.
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 08:15:25 -0800

> > Dunno.
>
> But you write a lot for someone who do not know. :)

I said I do not know whether color-lab.el "doesn't have much to do with
hexrgb.el" (Lars).  I did not say that I do not know anything.  I wrote about
what I do know about: hexrgb.el.

What did I mean by "dunno" here?  Read what followed "dunno":

d> Dunno.  Such a particular color distance computation is I guess
d> complementary to what is in hexrgb.el.  But in general that is
d> the kind of thing that hexrgb.el does.

So wrt particular content: it seems _complementary_.  But in general, color
difference _is_ the kind of thing that hexrgb.el does.  So yes and no - dunno
based only on Lars's general description of color-lab.el.

> All of this is not present in hexrgb

Complementary.

> I admit: color-lab has 50 SLOC for 2 functions (rgb->hsl and rgb->hsv)
> which are in hexrgb, but they are even not used at all by the
> CIE code.

I already made it clear during the discussion of rainbow-mode.el that such
overlap is to be expected.  These are just standard color conversions.

> So I think it's really unfair to stand up and point at this
> package like it's something that should not have been done.
>
> Now if you want to merge hexrgb and color-lab, why not, but stop
> pointing at other people work because some is not included in Emacs.
>
> I can't do anything about it.

You replied to my mail, but is this directed at me or someone else?  I haven't
pointed at any package as something that should not have been done.  I haven't
pointed at anyone's work because something is not in Emacs (?).  "Really
unfair", indeed.

I simply replied to Yidong's mention of possibly including hexrgb.el (it's OK).

And to Lars's indication that color-lab.el was about calculating a color
distance and that (he thinks) that has little to do with hexrgb.el.  I was going
by what Lars described - I have not looked at color-lab.el myself.

Whether color-lab.el _in fact_ has anything to do with hexrgb.el (e.g. same or
similar subject) I dunno.  And even if it does, whether the two should be
included separately or merged in some way I dunno.  I am not pushing for either
inclusion or merger.  I am not pushing and I am not pointing. ;-)

To be clear, I do not really care whether hexrgb.el, color-lab.el, some
combination of them, or both of them are added to Emacs.  I tried to reply
technically to the question of what hexrgb.el is about.  That's all.

I wrote hexrgb.el for myself and anyone else who wants to use it.  I am glad
that someone wrote color-lab.el as well.  Heuristically determining readable
colors would be useful - I'm glad you're working on it.

Whether any of this stuff should be added to Emacs is another story, and not for
me to decide.