Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el (shr-tag-color-check):Convert c

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el (shr-tag-color-check):Convert colors to hexadecimal with shr-color->hexadecimal.
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 11:29:39 -0500

Julien Danjou <address@hidden> writes:

>> You seem to be describing something oriented toward a particular
>> application: "just distant enough to improve readability" or some
>> such.  It would not be off-topic for hexrgb to include such a
>> color-distance metric.  I just haven't needed that so I haven't added
>> it.
>
> Color-lab has been built upon a specific need, which resulted in the
> CIE Delta E 2000 formula to be implemented. Some helper functions
> dealing with colors have been written, like CIE XYZ and CIE Lab
> conversion in the process.

I see; thanks for the explanation, and for writing the CIEDE functions,
and I apologize if I was too gruff in my earlier emails.  But the basic
point stands.  The color-lab.el file describes itself thusly:

   ;; This package provides color manipulation functions.

No mention of CIEDE here, and rightly so; what's needed is a
general-purpose color manipulation library, and CIEDE is only one piece
of such a library.  Such a library does not belong in the Gnus
subdirectory tree.

So, shall we pull the file out into Emacs?  Then we can merge it with
hexrgb.el, and maybe move `read-color' there as well.