Re: [emacs-bidi] Treatment of LRE,RLE,LRO,RLO,PDF,LRM,RLM

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Treatment of LRE,RLE,LRO,RLO,PDF,LRM,RLM
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:06:13 -0500

> Both glyphless-char-display and display table control the
> displaying of each character.  I think such a control should
> be done by a single mechanism.  At least it will benefit
> users in a long run.

Agreed.

> Currently, a display table element is nil or vector of characters.
> If there's a code that assumes that a non-nil element is a vector of
> characters, it will be broken.

Let's not worry about that case for now.  Such code is probably rare and
easy to fix.

> Next, a display table is not inherited.  So, if
> buffer-display-table or a window-specific display is set,
> standard-display-table is not looked up.

IIRC that's a bug in itself that should be fixed.

> At last, there are several standard-display-XXX functions
> (e.g. standard-display-8bit).  At the moment, I don't know how to make
> the functionality of glyphless-char-display-control go with them.

Most of those functions are largely historical baggage whose precise
meaning has evolved over time, so I think it's OK to change it yet a bit
further (and to deprecate them more if needed).

        Stefan