Re: SMIE documentation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: SMIE documentation
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:34:25 -0500

>> +programming languages's syntax is designed to be parsed forward, but for

> This should be "languages'", or "the syntax of programming languages".

>> +extra effort; but it also means that most programming languages cannot
>> +be parsed correctly, at least not without resorting to some
>> +special tricks.

> You should xref to "SMIE Tricks", if that is what you are referring to.
> In general, it is good to add xrefs to the introduction, even if there
> are links to the same nodes in the menu below that introduction, because
> that makes it clearer to the reader exactly where to find the more
> detailed treatment of each statement in the introduction.

Indeed.  Thanks all for the great feedback.

> Also, it would be nice to have a better description of what kinds of
> languages it's practical to use SMIE for.

I truly do not know.  It grew out of my sml-mode indentation algorithm,
and I've used it so far to indent: Octave, SML, Coq, Prolog, Octave, and
Modula-2.  I think it's able to handle any language, thanks to the trick
of moving some of the work to the lexer.  But indeed, that might become
impractical for some languages, tho I do not know enough to
characterize this.

        Stefan