Re: "RGB" in color.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: "RGB" in color.el
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:42:15 +0900

Julien Danjou <address@hidden> writes:
>> Incidentally, that brings to mind the question: are color numbers in
>> Emacs generally taken to refer to sRGB?  Is there any mechanism in X to
>> know...?
>
> It seems it's not sRGB, but just RGB with no color space.

Then maybe we should just declare that what emacs uses internally "is"
sRGB?

I don't think the code would need to change, just a note in
comments/docs would do it.

If we want to do useful things with color, it would really help to
assign some more meaning to the quantities being manipulated.

It won't change what's displayed of course, and what's displayed on
systems that don't use sRGB will still be "wrong," but it at least gives
a more precise point[*] at which to address such issues, and a clue how
to do it...

[*] In the window-system interface

Thanks,

-Miles