Re: Merging mistakes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Merging mistakes
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 09:00:24 -0500

> The kind of problems described below happens too much lately.  I think
> the unbearable lightness of merging with Bazaar is at least one of the
> reasons.  Unless we find a safer way of doing this, I fear that Emacs
> 23.3 will either take a very long pretesting or will be released more
> buggy than Emacs 23.2.

Actually, these specific smie byte-compiler-warnings have nothing to do
with bzr merging.  Just like others have already figured it in this
thread, they are simply the result of 2 conflicting desires:
- distribute smie.el with Emacs-23.3 so external packages can start to
  use it earlier.
- change as little of the code compared to the "upstream code".
So I left the blink-matching code, even though it's ineffective: it uses
a hook that's never run in Emacs-23.

I've tested the smie.el code in Emacs-23 about as much as is possible
(i.e. with coq-mode, sml-mode, octave-mode, modula2-mode, prolog-mode;
the last three requiring extra steps to perform this check since they
use pcase which doesn't exist/work in Emacs-23).

> Any suggestions for how to avoid destabilizing the release branch by
> too indiscriminate back-ports from the trunk?

But you're right that we need to be careful with it.  We haven't
received too many bug reports about the pretest code, tho, so it's not
clear whether we have a problem here.

        Stefan