IRC server USER/PASS in ERC

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: IRC server USER/PASS in ERC
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 00:27:14 +0000 (UTC)

Hello allmighty Emacs developers,

I know this is not the Emacs users mailing list, but I haven't
received any helpful replies on that list.  I think I have found a
deficiency in either ERC or its documentation, and even if not, I
really need the help from someone familiar with the innards of ERC.

I have set up ircproxy <http://ircproxy.sourceforge.net/> on a server,
but I can not connect to it because I don't seem to be able to tell
ERC the server username and password to use.  When I try to connect to
ircproxy -- by running the command `erc' and giving it the hostname of
the server, the port on which ircproxy is listening, and I give it my
ircproxy username and password at the "Nickname:" and "Password:"
prompts -- I get the following error.

==> ERROR from irc.example.net: USER / PASS is incorrect.

Connection failed!  Not re-establishing connection.

*** ERC terminated: connection broken by remote peer

I don't think it matters that I'm using a bouncer, as this seems to be
a matter of authenticating to an IRC server (as opposed to NickServ).

I am using ERC Version 5.3 (GNU Emacs 23.2.1).

*Is* there even a way to do this in ERC?  I certainly hope so, and
that I simply haven't found it.  If there is *NOT* a way to to this in
ERC, then I am willing to add this capability.

Kind regards,
Aidan Gauland