Re: Return

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Return
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:17:58 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> Actually, I'm considering to disallow non-top-level defuns in
>> lexical-scope mode, just because it's a good opportunity to introduce
>> such "breakage" and because non-top-level defuns are bugs in 99% of
>> the cases (in Elisp).
>
> I presume by "non-top-level defun" you mean "defun inside a function",
> not "defun inside a form"...

There are lots of reasons for doing a defun inside of a function.  One
important point of Lisp is making it easy to create code
programmatically.

I don't understand the "bugs in 99% of the cases", I could hardly
imagine any situation where a defun is used inside of a form
unintentionally, without the interpreter/compiler barfing anyway because
of unmatched parens and/or producing totally non-working code that is
straightforward to figure out.

--
David Kastrup