Re: Selected text -> system clipboard on NS?

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Selected text -> system clipboard on NS?
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 14:36:13 +0200

Jan Djärv kirjoitti 2010/12/06 kello 19:17:

> The PRIMARY selection maps to NXPrimary (aka @"Selection") now, as that makes
> sense on GNUStep.  Maybe we should map PRIMARY to the general pasteboard (aka
> clipboard) when not on GNUStep or hijack x-select-enable-clipboard?  AFAIK,
> there is no way to get selected text to the clipboard without a copy (M-w and
> such).

The behavior on OS X now is correct as far as what users expect from other apps
-- merely selecting text does NOT affect the clipboard.  So I don't think any
mandatory remapping is called for.  I'm not sure how
'x-select-enable-clipboard' is interpreted under X.  From the docstring, it
seems that if it is set, you still need to explicitly "cut" the text for it to
show up on the clipboard, rather than merely selecting it.  Whereas we (or at
least I ;-) would want the option to send selected (but not yet cut/copied)
text to clipboard (and also primary).  On OS X primary is only used for service
calls as far as I know.

-Adrian