Re: The window-pub branch

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: The window-pub branch
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 18:56:55 +0100

> But M-: then restores the original window selection and frame focus.

No.  The frame focus is never changed so it is not restored.

> When you use M-: you are not just evaluating a sexp.  You are using a command
> that evaluates a sexp and then restores the window selection.  If you want to
> test the behavior of `select-window' then don't bring other stuff into the mix
> as well.

So what about

C-x 2
M-: (select-window (next-window))

>> Moreover the modeline of the *scratch* window indicates that
>> the window is selected
>
> Which it is.  This is just further proof of that fact.

That I'm "using a command that evaluates a sexp and then restores the
window selection"?

> No, input does not go to the other frame.  Not during the evaluation of the
sexp
> given to M-:.  It is only _after_ M-: is finished that further input goes to
the
> window that was originally selected.

Even in the C-x 2 example?

>> The problem is within the interaction between Emacs and the window
>> manager.  It does not depend on M-:.
>
> What problem?  The fact that _after_ M-: the same window is selected as before
> it?  That behavior certainly _does_ depend on M-:.
>
> You have not shown any bug in `select-window'.

Indeed.

> You've just gotten confused
> because M-: does not only evaluate a sexp.  Take M-: out of the equation and
> then try to demonstrate the supposed `select-window' bug.

It's a bug in the command loop.  I can exhibit the same bug using
`select-window' or `select-frame'.

martin