Re: English dictionary with definitions.

From: A. Soare
Subject: Re: English dictionary with definitions.
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 22:33:49 +0100 (CET)

>     I do not know any, but I would like to know whether there is one/whether
> there is some intention to add one in emacs....
>
> I hope there is a good free English dictionary -- if not, people
> should work on improving one.  But I see no reason to include it in
> Emacs.
>
> It would be ok to include code in Emacs to access free dictionaries.
> However, code to access nonfree dictionaries would give the wrong idea
> of our principles.

LOL.

I am working on a project now.

I need an offline disctionary. I write a script to download the database of the
dictionary , and afterwards, for every word from the data base, I will ask the
server to send me the definition of that word, and the list of synonyms.

The server that I am about to copy these days has a different data base for
defitions and for words.

After I finish downloading all the dictionary, I send the scripts to emacs
devel, for everybody to be able to download the dictionary . LOL.

And afterwards, using that scripts , everybody can download for himself the
data base.

What I mean: the data base is not free, but it is free

- the access to data base
- the scripts to clone the database to the local computer

The benefit: if we buy a dictionary, that dictionary cannot work in emacs. This
is a major disavantage.

Other one: almost sure the sellers do not offer linux support.

I do not say the name of the on line dictionary I clone this week, because I do
not want to be banned.

There are about 100.000 words. I installed a delay of 5 seconds between asking
2 words.

that means 100.000 [words] * 5 seconds = 500.000 seconds.

# bc
bc 1.06.94
Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details type `warranty'.
500000/3600
138
scale=2
500000/3600
138.88
last/24
5.78

LOL. About 6 days!!!

Pff, I hope the site will not ban my ip. LOL.

Afterwards, I can play with the data base as I wish, I am free to play with,
and have it worked in emacs.

  Pour un Noël petit budget, découvrez notre sélection cadeaux à moins de 20
euros :  http://actu.voila.fr/evenementiel/noel-2010/boutique/moins-de-20.html