Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102591: * src/lread.c (read1): Allow newstyle

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102591: * src/lread.c (read1): Allow newstyle unquote outside of backquote.
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:25:15 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > If we ever want to fully support new-style backquotes, we'll have to
 > disallow commas from symbols.

You also have the alternative of distinguishing the first character
(ie, allow a different set of characters there).

On a related topic, has anybody ever run into an issue with lookalike
characters (eg, Japanese full-width latin and numerals, Latin A
vs. Cyrillic A vs. Greek A, etc)?  Unicode alleges this to be a
security risk.  (The reason this comes up here is that JIS mirrors the
entire ASCII set into its multibyte encoding -- including the comma.
So if we don't unify ASCII ?, with JIS ?,, you could have symbols that
have commas in them but those commas are syntactically non-commas. ;-)