Re: online conversion support from xsd to rng?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: online conversion support from xsd to rng?
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:52:13 +0900

Štěp
án
Němec writes:

 > This is nonsense. XPath and friends are not bound to the external
 > representation of the data in any way. They operate on the DOM tree. So
 > as long as your XML conversion to sexp format is lossless (which it
 > should be, of course), you lose nothing, only gain the advantages of
 > saner format (i.e. sexp) both for humans and the machine -- you just
 > need an XPath etc. implementation for your language.

Sure.  But our language doesn't have a standard lossless format yet,
it doesn't have an XPath implementation at all, and it's not clear to
me why a lossless sexp format would be all that much more readable
than XML (assuming an XML mode designed to be readable, which would
probably be a bigger gain than XML-to-Lisp -- all XML modes I've seen
have been designed for use by those who think XML is readable).

I think you've got a lot of work ahead of you.