Re: Word usage

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Word usage
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 13:08:43 -0600

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 11:15:47 -0800 "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > And Emacs doc should definitely use the former, not the latter.
>> > We should not suppose that Emacs users are familiar with
>> > math notation beyond the most basic (e.g. arithmetic or algebra).
>> > There is no reason to expect general users to be familiar with
>> > interval notation.
>>
>> color.el is clearly not intended for general users,

DA> Of course it is.  Who is it excluding?
DA> It is entirely possible to follow the code and comments of color.el
DA> without necessarily being familiar with math interval notation - or
DA> at least it should be.  (I assert that having still never seen the
DA> color.el code. ;-))

Seriously?  I would have a lot of trouble writing these statements
together in the same page, never mind paragraph.

I suggest you look at the color.el source code.  If you can't handle
math notation, you have no hope of understanding it.

DA> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor
DA> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Heh.  Why don't you cite the Pareto principle to make the trifecta?  It
applies as much as the other ones...

Ted