Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el (shr-tag-color-check):Convert c

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102478: shr.el (shr-tag-color-check):Convert colors to hexadecimal with shr-color->hexadecimal.
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 13:19:53 -0600

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:53:52 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> We could start choosing more mellifluous hues by default, and have
>> color-lab ensure that the text would be readable for all users...  That
>> is, reduce the fruit salad-ey-ness that Emacs has now.

SM> That would be wonderful indeed.  Not sure easy that would be (what with
SM> having to take into account limitations such as an 8- or 16-color text
SM> terminal), but it sounds quite intriguing.

Lars' original proposition would be nice, I think, if there was a
facility to convert (using his example)

(defface gnus-group-news-2-empty
  '((((class color)
      (background dark))
     (:foreground "turquoise"))
    (((class color)
      (background light))
     (:foreground "CadetBlue4"))
    (t
     ()))

(defface gnus-group-news-2-empty ...)
(color-lab-install-mellifluous-colors
  'gnus-group-news-2-empty :dark (:foreground "turquoise") :light (:foreground
"CadetBlue4"))

;; or...
(color-lab-install-mellifluous-dark-colors  'gnus-group-news-2-empty
(:foreground "turquoise"))
(color-lab-install-mellifluous-light-colors 'gnus-group-news-2-empty
(:foreground "CadetBlue4"))

Then we can tweak `color-lab-install-mellifluous-colors' to DTRT in all
circumstances, while the package author doesn't have to worry about
those tweaks because his code will work regardless.  In other words,
we'd be switching from a purely data-driven approach with `defface' to a
more flexible declarative approach of `defface' plus color-lab functions.

Ted