Re: per-buffer language environments

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: per-buffer language environments
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 21:00:15 +0200

> Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 16:25:03 +0100 (CET)
> From: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
>
> According to the documentation, set-language-environent acts globally.
> However, at least for CJK documents, it would be very helpful if this
> could be controlled on a per-buffer basis[1].  For example, on my
> GNU/Linux box with latin-1 as the default langauge environment, while
> editing some Japanese text, I see the katakana glyphs from the
> `simsun' font which look particularly ugly.  Assuming that I edit a
> Chinese text in parallel, a Japanese font from a Japanese language
> environment would miss most of the Chinese characters, causing
> fallback character substitution which looks ugly again...

But font selection is just one part of the language environment.  Are
there any other aspects of the language environment that would make
sense to have on per-buffer basis?

If font selection is the only part, then doesn't the fontset
definition feature (see "(emacs)Defining Fontsets") do what you want?