Re: Sending patch with Gnus

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Sending patch with Gnus
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 06:09:34 +0000

On 2010-12-15 21:11 +0000, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Francis Moreau <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Since Gnus is using Git as SCM, I'm wondering if some of you have a
>>> magical function that can be used to send patch easily.
>>>
>>> For example, git-format-patch(1) generates a patch with all header
>>> fields set up such as "Subject, From..." and I'd like to create a new
>>> mail automatically from the generated patch using the header fields in
>>> the patch.
>>>
>>> Currently I'm starting a new mail and in the message body I'm inserting
>>> the output from git-format-patch(1) and then I do some clean up
>>> _manually_.
>>>
>>> Using git-send-email(1) with its ton of options is too complex for me
>>> when I need to send only 1 patch.
>>
>> This sounds like a good idea, but I think that it might belong more to
>> vc-mode than to Gnus, so I've Cc'd it to emacs-devel.
>>
>> Does the VC system have a general "make-an-email-from-this-patch"
>> mechanism?
> DVC have this.
> M-x dvc-export-via-mail

I tweaked gnus-dired to support git-send-email (patches attached). So if
you have gnus-dired loaded you can in dired buffer:

C-c C-m C-i    import patches as DRAFTS
C-c C-m C-s    send patches directly

This is handy when you need to send a large patch set. For one to two
patches I just copy and paste.

Note if you want your patches to have nice threading, check out the
option --thread for git-format-patch.

Cheers,
Leo

--