Re: Compiling 23.2 on OSX configure error

From: Tom Seddon
Subject: Re: Compiling 23.2 on OSX configure error
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 18:58:29 +0000 (UTC)

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello list,I am trying to compile Emacs 23.2 on my Snow Leopard
> machine, and I am getting the following error on the configure step:checking
>  for library containing tputs... noconfigure: error: I couldn't find
>  termcap functions (tputs and friends).

I had this with the latest version
from bazaar. It seems the problem
was that I had a 32-bit-only
libncurses.a installed by fink. I
imagine fink could sort this out for
me, but I don't use it any more, so I
just deleted my /sw folder instead :)

The configure script checks for
/sw/lib specifically -- so if you
have ever used fink, any libraries
it installed will get found and used.
Presumably this behaviour is there
for a reason? -- so it would be good
if the configure error message could
mention this explicitly. I'm sure I won't
be the only person with an out-of-dat
 fink folder that they'd kind of forgotten
about.

(A work around would of course be to
build a 32-bit emacs. This seemed to
be working, but after a couple of minutes
through a `make bootstrap' that was
going fine, I decided to try to solve the issue
properly instead.)

Thanks,

--Tom