Re: per-buffer language environments

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: per-buffer language environments
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:51:23 +0900

I should join this discussion, but sorry, I don't have a
time at the moment.  I'd like to say one thing:

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Perhaps a useful starting point would be to ask: what exactly is a
> "language name" string? should it specify only a language, or should
> it also try to specify the preferred encodings?

The reason why I chose the term "language environment"
instead of simple "language" was to make it provide a set of
various good settings (i.e. environment).  So my intention
of "language environment" name was not a language name but
an environment name.  This concept was close to "locale" but
when I made it, it was not clear what the system locale can
do.

Anyway, for that, "language" is just one aspect, and thus
there are variants of Chinese-* (which specify both language
and encoding) and variants of Latin-* (which specify only
encoding).

A while ago, I proposed more dynamic way of specifing
language environment which allows user to freely name a
environment by any combination of language and encoding, and
Emacs automatically generate a proper "language environment"
object associated with the specified name.  The name can
have this syntax:
  LANGUAGE-[ENCODING[-CHARSET[-INPUT_METHOD]]]
or any other convenient syntax (e.g. keyward-value pair).

But that idea was rejected because it's overkill.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden