Re: per-buffer language environments

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: per-buffer language environments
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:05:46 +0200

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:51:23 +0900
>
> The reason why I chose the term "language environment"
> instead of simple "language" was to make it provide a set of
> various good settings (i.e. environment).  So my intention
> of "language environment" name was not a language name but
> an environment name.

That's okay, but it's not clear whether what Werner wants still fits
this model, which was originally invented to be global for the entire
Emacs session.  Since now the issue (as I understand it) is to provide
a more fine-grained feature, we should analyze again whether it is
still appropriate to specify the whole thing (language, input method,
default encodings for all of their varieties, etc.) with a single
string argument, or indeed with a single API/UI.