Re: Backtrace and message buffer tell me different things

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Backtrace and message buffer tell me different things
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:00:47 +0100

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Lennart Borgman
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Stefan Monnier
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>   Making parse-sexp-lookup-properties local to *scratch* while let-bound!
>>
>> BTW, this is usually a source of problems, so you'll want to try and
>> avoid doing that.
>
> Yes, thanks, I am cleaning up such things when I have time.

Though looking at this particular case I do not know what to do. The
situation is this:

- Fontification variables are let-bound by mumamo in the function it
creates to do the fontification. It is done this way to override the
buffer local variables as fast as possible.

- This particular variable is not buffer local by default so it is set
with make-local-variable somewhere.

(Maybe you want to avoid make-variable-buffer-local to catch conflicts
like this?)

There are some (possible) troubles here:

1) I do not know where make-local-variable happens. A minor problem
perhaps but a bit irritating.

2) I am not sure if there is any real problem here. I hope (set
(make-local-variable 'parse-sexp-lookup-properties) WHATEVERITISSETTO)
is setting the let-bound variable and that the real buffer local
variable is left as it was. Is that what is happening?

My excuses for having forgotten the details here. Maybe the warning
message could give more information? Perhaps point to some part of the
manual that explains more? And maybe it could give a hint where the
problematic call to make-local-variable happens? (If that is
interesting.)