Re: Get a command by its keybinding and also respecting key translation

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Get a command by its keybinding and also respecting key translation
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:10:51 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

Hi David,

>>> First, backquote != `.
>>
>> It is not?  From backquote.el:
>>
>>   (defalias '\` (symbol-function 'backquote))
>>
>> And describe-function returns the same (except the name) for both ``'
>> and `backquote'.
>
> You are confusing \` with `.  ` is (obviously) treated specially by
> the Lisp reader and converted into a form involving the macro \`.

Oh, even this sencence was hard to parse.  What does \` have to do with
a dot followed by two spaces!?!  After increasing my lookahead, I
managed to grasp it. :-)

> At some point in the past, this rather used the macro backquote
> instead.  If this were still so, you probably would be less confused.

Yes.

> The connection between ` and \` is arbitrary, and established by the
> Lisp reader.
>
> M-: '`(+ 4 ,soup)
>
> gives

Yes, I thought the expansion would have been either `(+ 4 (\, soup)) or
(backquote (+ 4 (\, soup))).  The comment

  ;; GNU Emacs has no reader macros

before the defalias doesn't make it clearer, though.

Thanks for your clarification,
Tassilo